1895-1903: Firm Footing
From 1895 to 1903, Husted’s Directory consistently lists the mission at 378-9th Street. The 1889 Sanborn Map identifies this location on the corner of 9th Street and Franklin Street. The church has now moved closer to the business area of the city. The corner was again pasted over. In this case though, the church was at this location at the end of the map book period; so the layout shown represents the church as it was.
During the period that the church was located here, the Block Book lists several owners: Regina & Sigmund Beck (1895), Hon. G. Henshaw (1896-1902), and finally Union Savings Bank (1903). So it is assumed that the church only a tenant at this location.
From 1903 to 1907, Husted’s Directory has two different addresses for the church. A Chinese Mission School (Methodist) is listed at 378-9th Street (the 1906 directory lists it as 368-9th Street), while the Chinese Mission is listed as 309-8th Street. It is not clear whether these were two separate buildings or just a clerical error.